Sustainable Chemistry Challenge
Sustainable chemistry is about the use of renewable resources, and in particular bio-based resources, to produce sustainable chemicals and materials. The potential for such products is tremendous, with a global market estimated to be around 1 trillion euro.
The transition towards a lower footprint economy started slow but is definitely accelerating. Driven by end-user concerns about security of feedstock, legislation forcing industry towards lower eco-footprint products and production systems, and increasing consumer pressure. A challenging caveat has been the reluctance of end consumers to pay a premium for green products. Simultaneously, more and more technological breakthroughs are leading towards cost-competitive solutions.
Realizing circular concepts and transitioning into a circular cycle can also contribute to this solution by breaking traditional and linear “take-produce-consume-dispose” cycles. This can be done by better designing products for production, consumption, and recycling.
Icos Capital and its corporate partners seek high impact technologies such as innovations for:
- Bio-based materials and chemicals
- Process technologies to convert bio and waste resources into valuable materials
- Circular Economy solutions breaking the “take-produce-consume-dispose” cycle
What do we look for in solutions and what criteria should be met?
- Companies with developed solutions and launching customers
- Solutions which do not require significant change in existing industrial infrastructure
- Minimal capex investments in new processing equipment
- (Early) Growth / Scale-Up phase companies
- Impact in terms of cost, performance and sustainability
Over the next few weeks Icos Capital will release more information on the biggest sustainability challenges. Stay up to date by following us on social media!
Join in on the conversation, the challenges and our solutions and register for the Icos Sustainability Challenge 2018 through your exclusive invitation!